Sunday, June 12, 2011

I Have the Power

So, I have not written in a while. I have been a bit busy doing things like


Running 1/2 Marathons (1:43:43 in the rain. 23rd overall, and 4th in class)


Traveling internationally for work (Taiwan, and Dresden (twice))


Breaking machine tools.


Oh, yeah, and buying a house!

Well, the house is small. I am not talking 1200 ft^2 small, I am talking 554 ft^2 small!
So, one of the first things I did was have a shed built in the back to use as a workshop (The technical term is Calculariam), and NOT for storage!!! Well the city (town) I live in lets me build 120 ft^2 without a permit (Over 1/5th the size of the house). But you can't run power out to it (Sadface). Well, problems have solutions:


Some nuts, bolts, angle, and furniture tips from the hardware store (About $20)


Some selections from my Zip-Tie collection,


And some from my back up Zip-Tie collection


Make a lovely mount for a solar panel (15W for 80$).


Mounted on the roof. Everything I have done on this is with an eye towards expanding the system. Now to hook up the running systems:


I covered it up during this part as so not to hurt myself (try licking a car battery). It was still pushing out about 3V so I could make sure all my connections were good, but with almost no current, so I swore a lot less.


To charge the battery (I have a tiny one in place temporarily, but have a big ass (I think that is the brand) one at work (Free), regulate the power, and protect the panels after sunset ($20, good for 100W).


A 50W inverter that I have had kicking around for 15 years or so (and they tell me I should trow things out)


Light provided by a 5W 12V LED bulb ($12). Don't worry, I cleaned up the wiring.


Half a Saturdays work, finished by sundown. Total cost: $132


And finally, no job is done without one of these :)

1 comment:

hern42 said...

nice shed (and story about making the electrical thingy, made me laugh a bit) ...
i hope to see it when i'm traveling about in july/august.
then we can have "one of these" together :)